16 Jan 2020, 13:11 — 7 min read
The moment you have been waiting for has come! Your first customer has placed an order on your e-store and you ready to share your amazing product with the customer. All those efforts seem to have paid off and now you are excited for your bank account to go Ka-Ching! Before you start planning for shipping and delivery of your product through our automated logistics partner at negotiated rates (Product delivery made easy for you) or through your own logistics supplier, you need to make sure that order has been placed properly and payment has been successfully received.
When setting up the store, you have three options to receive payment:
1. Integrated payment gateways - CC Avenue or RazorPay
2. By COD (cash on delivery which is when the customer places an order and you mutually agree that the customer will pay on receipt of the product, usually to the logistics provider)
3. Offline – This is when you and the customer decide that payment will be made offline i.e not on the e-store. This could be bank transfer directly from the customer’s account to the store’s or through other mediums e.g. cheque or cash
If you have chosen to receive payment through the integrated payment gateway, there are 4 scenarios that can happen when the customer places an order. Let us take you behind the scenes to understand better:
1. Customer goes to payment gateway page and leaves without making payment: Order is placed and marked as payment pending.
2. Customer goes to payment gateway page, makes payment and bank approves the payment: Order is placed and marked as confirmed, seller and customer receive order confirmation email notification.
3. Customer goes to payment gateway page, makes payment and bank doesn't approve the payment: Order is placed and marked as payment pending, the order status changes to confirmed only if bank approves the payment.
4. Customer successfully places an order via COD / Offline payment method: Customer places order without having to make any payment upfront, seller and customer receive order confirmation email notification.
When you check your payment status there are 3 types of status you will see. Let’s demystify each of these status for you:
1. Confirmed - Customer payment successfully received by payment gateway
2. Pending - Payment not approved by bank
(Exception: Order Payment status is pending but Customer has complained about the payment being deducted)
If the status is showing as pending:
a. Cross check on payment gateway's dashboard if it says 'Success' there, as sometimes customers bank gives a delayed approval.
b. If its pending on dashboard, wait for 24 hours for status to change, if not approved by bank, customers would get a refund in their bank account as per the bank’s timeline. Payment Gateway dashboard status should be treated as the final.
3. Failed - Customer would need to place the order again.
The order is processed, the payment has been approved but you have not received the money in your bank. Do not fret! The credit cycle from the payment gateway to your bank account is as follows for the respective payment gateways:
T+2 days, If KYC is verified
(CCAVenue requires that the first payment received is over ₹500. If not, it will decline the payment. To avoid this, ensure that the first order received /paid even it is made by in proxy by you, if over ₹500. Subsequent orders do not have this amount restriction).
T+2 days, If KYC is verified
T= the day the payment was processed
Many people now prefer paying using the COD options for various reasons. Some also argue that one of the largest impetus for ecommerce in India is the COD payment which gives access to a large number of people to shop online even if they do not have or are not comfortable using online payment systems. This is where GlobalLinker’s integrated logistics partner come into use where your logistics and COD collection can happen at the same time. The steps for an order which has been processed using COD as an options would go as follows:
1. The payment status will show as confirmed which is a default setting if you choose COD.
2. Customer has placed the order without making payment.
3. Seller should use his discretion to process the order after confirmation with customer satisfaction.
4. If shipping processed via Vamaship, GlobalLinker’s integrated logistics partner: Vamaship will collect the payment from the customer, GlobalLinker will transfer the money in 7-15 working days from the date of delivery.
5. If the order is self shipped, (i.e done using your own logistics partner), the seller needs to find a way to collect the payment by coordinating with the customer.
Sometimes you might have customers who do not want to use either of the above, and you must accommodate them. They might want to transfer the money to your bank account directly or use other means. For those, who use the offline method of payment, the steps for order processing would be as follows:
1. The payment status will show as confirmed which is a default setting if you choose offline payment method.
2. Customer has placed the order without making payment on the store. Sometimes the seller mentions a text which can be his bank A/C number for offline transfer.
3. Seller should process the order only after they have confirmed whether they have received the payment in their bank account.
4. Shipping is processed via GlobalLinker’s integrated logistics partner Vamaship or offline(Self shipped). Vamaship will only deliver the package, not collect money.
So there you have it! Selling online has never been so easy with so many systems in place and partners like GlobalLinker rooting for your success.
Image source: shutterstock.com
Posted byGlobalLinker Staff
We are a team of experienced industry professionals committed to sharing our knowledge and skills with small & medium enterprises.
23 Jan 2023, 13:06
Most read this week